The Belgian Charcot Foundation adheres to the guidelines of our health authorities: https://www.info-coronavirus.be/nl/ or https://www.info-coronavirus.be/fr/, which are updated when necessary.The Belgian Charcot Foundation follows the advice of the Belgian Study Group for MS regarding the treatment of MS patients.
Therefore, and as long as necessary, the following recommendations apply:
- The preventive measures provided to the general population (https://www.info-coronavirus.be/nl/ or https://www.info-coronavirus.be/fr/) do apply even more to patients with MS, especially when treated with disease modifying drugs.
- In patients with MS treated with disease modifying drugs it is recommended:
- Interferon-beta (Avonex®, Betaferon®, Rebif®), glatiramer acetate (Copaxone®), teriflunomide (Aubagio®),dimethyl fumarate (Tecfidera®), fingolimod (Gilenya®), natalizumab (Tysabri®): treatment to be continued
- Ocrelizumab (Ocrevus®), cladribine (Mavenclad®), alemtuzumab (Lemtrada®), rituximab (Mabthera®): start or redosing of treatment to be postponed if the disease severity/activity of the patient allows
- Persons with MS who are treated with disease modifying drugs and are infected with Covid-19: to stop the ongoing treatment until recovery