Coronavirus and multiple sclerosis - update
The Belgian Charcot Foundation follows the advice of the Belgian Study Group for MS regarding the treatment of MS patients.
Therefore, following recommendations apply:
- The preventive measures provided to the general population (https://www.info-coronavirus.be/nl/ or https://www.info-coronavirus.be/fr/) do apply even more to patients with MS, especially when treated with disease modifying drugs.
- In patients with MS treated with disease modifying drugs it is recommended:
- Interferon-beta (Avonex®, Betaferon®, Rebif®), glatiramer acetate (Copaxone®), teriflunomide (Aubagio®),dimethyl fumarate (Tecfidera®), fingolimod (Gilenya®), natalizumab (Tysabri®): treatment to be continued
- Ocrelizumab (Ocrevus®), cladribine (Mavenclad®), alemtuzumab (Lemtrada®), rituximab (Mabthera®): start or redosing of treatment to be postponed if the disease severity/activity of the patient allows
- Persons with MS who are treated with disease modifying drugs and are infected with Covid-19: to stop the ongoing treatment until recovery